During what years was there a "Cambridge Theological School"; was the name later changed - if so, when, and what was the new name?
- Harvard University Divinity School
- Divinity School at Cambridge
- Theological School at Cambridge
- Cambridge Theological School
- Cambridge Divinity School
- Divinity School of the University in Cambridge
I have also seen
- Divinity School of Harvard University
- Theological School of Harvard University
- Divinity School in Harvard University
- Theological School in Harvard University
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, these names were used interchangeably, although the use of "Cambridge" in its name tended to be less after the founding of the Episcopal Theological School (1867), also in Cambridge but not part of Harvard University (this is now the Episcopal Divinity School, the result of its 1974 merger with the Philadelphia Divinity School). The regularizing (not changing) of the name to "Harvard Divinity School" began in the early 20th century.
More Help Options
Email Your Question
Use our simple form to email a librarian your question. We usually respond to questions within 24 hours (M-F).
Schedule a Research Appointment
Talk to a librarian for advice on defining your topic, developing your research strategy, and locating and using sources.Schedule an Appointment