Answered By: Gloria Korsman Last Updated: Aug 05, 2015 Views: 29
Andover Hall was built in 1910-11 and opened for the 1911-12 academic year. Yes, it was built by Andover Theological Seminary. The architects were Allen and Collens, who would later design the Cloisters and Riverside Church in New York City. When it was bought by Harvard in 1935, it became the only Collegiate Gothic style building at Harvard. Charles W. Eliot, Harvard's president from 1869 to 1909, did not think the style was appropriate for Harvard, so no Harvard buildings were built in this style.
There are photos and text in an old web exhibit.
An article in the Harvard Graduates' Magazine, v. 20 (1911-12), p. 284ff, called "The New Buildings of Andover Seminary", describes the architecture and decorative features. It is available through Google Book at http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.FIG.GITEM:32044107292484. Type 284 in the page number box in the top center of the page and hit enter. The article starts near the bottom of that page.